Saturday, August 19, 2006

We've only just got started; we've only just begun.

Please forgive the uncouth grammar in the title; it's merely a quote from a song. Rest easy compadres.

Friday August 18th, 2006

Today was the first day of class. Not really all that much different then a class day down at Tech really in terms of getting ready. Since it started at 9, I got up around 7:45 and did the hygiene routine, grabbed some grub at the Villa and headed up to class on the 1st floor.

The first class I'm taking is Marketing. Now normally, this would be a class I'm generally prepared for, but there was a great deal of adjusting to manage today.

First off, I don't have my textbook, or any of them for that matter. All of my books were taxed in Zurich customs by mistake, and were sent back to the customs office by the Villa caretakers to resolve the issue without me having to pay extra fees. I was told they should be back here by Monday, but by then I'll be pretty far behind. There's really nothing I can do about it, except borrow the book when the other students aren't using it. In the meantime, all I've got in class is my notebook, so I still felt reasonably ready for the crammed semester to start.

I wasn't...

The professor, Dr. Littlefield, moves at a lightning pace when running through his notes on the slide projector. From the time he placed a slide down, I can get maybe two words onto my notebook before he removes it for the next slide. All of this happens while he's saying a few other things that may or may not be of critical importance, but I found it hard to keep up, trying to balance the slides and his words together and write some from both all the while.

Ultimately I didn't get much out of either, so I'll have to try a new strategy tomorrow. No worries my friends...I borrowed a book and outlined the chapters later on :).

Class had a 10 minute break around 10:25, and then continued on through to about 12. The rest of the day was given to the students to explore the town, catch up (like me), and do some reading and homework for tomorrow.


After I finished up, I whipped out my camera and decided to explore the views in and around the Villa because it was such a beautiful day! The picture above is a panorama from one of the girls' rooms on the 2nd (3rd) floor.

There was also this GORGEOUS setting in the garden in the back yard...












All that and more now updated in the photoalbum link.

That night, a group of us students went to a MASSIVE church to see some locals perform a classical concert. It was very VERY tall, maybe 200 feet to the ceiling I'd guess, but width wise it was only about the size of a traditional family room and kitchen. It sounded as if performed at the Kennedy Center, I guess is how I could make a comparison close to home, despite small numbers in the band and the small proximity. The singer had a very powerful, yet soothing voice and the entire band was very pleased to see the American audience amid the rest of the village people, (Y!M-C-A!!...just kidding) and our praise for their performance as well.

The culture is very rich here, and I've only just now had my first real taste. It really is only the beginning. When I have time to sit down and reflect on it I'll be sure to include another post. For now though, I need to get ready for tomorrow's set of class and activities.

Lots of G Love and speaceial sauce,

B Ezie

1 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

a few things ..

1) I'm pretty sure I had Littlefield for marketing. As for a tip, from what I remember, and this was awhile ago so forgive me if my memory is fading, his tests were MC and basically were pulled straight from bullet points on the slides.

2) That view is amazing.

3) I feel like that picture in the garden is where you decided might be a nice place to get better acquainted with a nice girl in the program. haha

Fri Aug 25, 11:37:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home