Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Cha-ch-ch-Changes!

200!

Thats the number of days until the marathon...haven't decided if I want a countdown just yet, but just seeing that nice round number is pretty cool. It says "wow, you've got less than two thirds of a year left!" and "its still pretty far off, better keep things slow and steady" at the same time -- good to plan by.

Last week I did wind up running every day except Sunday for the 33 minutes i had hoped to, but it started to hurt. I went up both in frequency and time thinking it was still a reasonable thing to do, but already I'm starting to see the signs that could lead to injury if they aren't given enough attention.

By Wednesday or Thursday I experienced some discomfort in the arch on my left foot, and immediately switched to slower running in the grass and mulchy areas of the road and trails. It got me through the runs alright, but I really need to be careful about stretching my feet pre-and-post run and not going too fast when I do. Never having experience in cross country or track shows itself pretty quick once you get into semi-decent mileage I guess.

So, with my physical durability in mind, I've decided to cut back a bit this week while still progressing forward. I took Sunday and Monday off to recuperate from the long week, then ran yesterday and this afternoon for 36 minutes; a new high. Tomorrow I will take off just to make sure I don't overdo it going three days straight.

Down the road, 3 to 6 days in a row will be a requirement in training. But, it's still early, and as funny as it sounds, I'm still learning how to run. Almost anyone can pick up and knock out a few miles right off the couch, but there really is a certain technique to consistently running at high mileages non-runners like me (hopefully not for long!) don't quite understand.

The next run should be Friday for another 36 min. and again on Saturday before moving on to 39 next week. I think my April end goal is to be able to run for 45 minutes at least 3 days out of the week with little to no heavy breathing and no injuries. (Since April ends on a Wednesday, we'll amend the 3 per week goal to include May 3rd too)

Lots of other stuff has been going on as well. Kansas broke my heart for the 2nd time in the 2007-08 Collegiate sporting season, I got to see a bunch of good friends new and old at my fraternity's annual Alumni banquet this past weekend, and just recently embarked on an attempt to budget my monthly earnings and expenses for my first move!

Details to follow as I continue to learn...

P&L,
B.Easy

2 Comments:

Blogger Fulton said...

hey, just remembered to check out the date to register for the marathon:

Online Registration for the 2008 Marine Corps Marathon opens at noon eastern on April 30th and the entry fee is $88. The race field is expected to fill up quickly, so sign up early!

Btw, Nice job on the running... When you start to get up above 40 minutes or so... just because you can run that long doesn't mean you should for every run. I think one thing I learned is that just because a certain day is a running day and not a rest day, doesnt mean it's not also a rest day... There is a big difference in the toll on your body between a 90 minute run and a 30 minute run. They train your legs in a different way. 90 minute runs are training runs, 30 minute run a fillers so your legs just get exercise and are worked out a bit. talk to you soon.

Wed Apr 09, 09:58:00 PM

 
Blogger Rex said...

Nice Work! I recall some rule of thumb about not increasing your total distance more than 10% each week. Maybe the same holds true for time?

As for budgeting, I must admit, I love it. So much that I am teaching 2 high school classes and a community class on Personal Finance. By the way when is your move?

I highly recommend this book covers everything from budgeting to insurance to negotiation, buying cars, houses, etc.
http://tinyurl.com/2cb3md

Thu Apr 10, 09:18:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home