Hello... Is it me you're Looking for?
Its been a long time my friends, but I'm BACK to share with you all my transition to the funky feats...
A lot has happened since my last post.
1)I made my successful return to America complete with facial hair that rendered me completely unrecognizable by many (or just looked too comically like an unkempt pirate to speak to).
2)Lived through the 4/16 tragedy, and will not discuss the matter any further.
3)Finally got a little in my fraternity and the long wait, though not intentional, (2.5 years) was definitely worth it :)
4)Graduated a semester early (DEC 2007).
5)Landed a sweet job in Gaithersburg Maryland.
and the most recent and FIRST FUNKY FEAT to accomplish...
6)Set a goal to run in the Marine Corps Marathon this fall!
Now, this is big. I've never committed to any kind of real fitness goal in the past, because I've always had some sporting activity or another to occupy my time and keep me in shape. Now that I've joined the real world, things aren't so active at the office.
I figure, what better way to push myself into a fit and active post undergrad life than to train for something only accomplished by the few who really know what it means to be committed?
It's a tall order, but I think I'm up to the task and I've got a good friend with experience that will help me along the way.
Thus far, progress has been slow and steady. About every third day at first, and more recently every other day, I've been running just to get into the rhythm of what it feels like to be running again.
Running a mile was a real struggle the first day. I don't think I'll forget that day ever for the rest of my life. It had been at least solid year since I had done any kind of running, gym or road, and I immediately felt the consequences. Within the first half mile, I felt stabbing chest pains that I swore were early signs of a heart attack, but am more convinced now that it was just tight chest and back muscles around my untested lungs. As I dragged on, it got worse, and eventually I had to walk. Luckily for me, the pain subsided enough to start jogging again, and I made it back home for another day.
Since then the pain has vanished, and just this afternoon I ran a full 3.5 miles without stopping. It made me happy beyond what it should have by the runs end, but I'm glad it felt so good, because that means things are looking even brighter towards the future.
Be Easy


3 Comments:
34 weeks away! but you're well on your way, that's just an ounce of the progress that you'll see along the way. keep up the good work!
Sun Feb 24, 12:55:00 PM
I've ran 3 maybe 4 half-marathons and can fully appreciate the amount of effort and discipline it takes not only to run a full marathon, but all of the hours it takes to train for one. I wish you the best of luck. My best advice is to start out slow and don't overdo it!
Mon Feb 25, 09:36:00 AM
listen to rex. you have plentyyyy of time. everyone's natural inclination is to do too much too soon. build it up nice and slowly. you'll get there. i'm convinced half of training for these things is avoiding injuries. come october you'll look back on that first run and laugh so hard.
Tue Feb 26, 06:26:00 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home