Thursday, September 07, 2006

I wonder if I'll ever see you again

Paris: Sept 1 - 5

Pretty much a blur, really... I had a really great time on this trip, but spent so much time going to the most sites I could that I really didn't get the time to enjoy the places I had visited fully. Because of that, I really didnt learn much from the things I had seen either, in terms of their background and history. The entire trip was what you could compare to skimming a textbook (if at all) as most students do instead of reading word for word. I'd definitely like to come back someday and just take it easy if I ever get the chance.

We were so busy that I didn't even get a chance to write down the events of each day as I had hoped to. But, I still took lots of pictures, and can at least share the little that I can recall.

I guess the easiest way to do it would be to break it down by location...

The Louvre:

Couldn't finish it in a slow walking day if you tried...this place is MASSIVE! You enter in its famous glass pyramid, and from the underground where it starts, it extends above ground into the buildings surrounding it into the courtyard. Definitely wish I had more time there, and I saw but wasn't allowed to take pictures of it's most famous artwork, The Mona Lisa. I did capture the Venus de Milo sculpture though (look for it in the album)!

Arc de Triomphe:

Found at the head of the Champs-Elysees, it is one of France's most recognizeable landmarks, aside from the Eiffel Tower. Underneath is an unknown soldier memorial from World War I and up top offers great panoramic views of the city.

Eiffel Tower:

Easily the most internationally recognizeable part of Paris. Every hour or so at night, it flashes lights all around and looks very pretty, like an oversized, leafless christmas tree with a spotlight star in the top. It was made for a Worlds Fair in the centennial year of the French Revolution and is now used as an FM radio and TV transmission.

Sacre-Coeur:

Tallest point in Paris, and a HUGE Church filled with all kinds of detailed paintings, sculptures and furniture.

Napoleon's Tomb and it's adjacent Knight museum:


#1 is pretty self explanatory, but it was definitely a spectacular sight to see. The place has a magnificent altar facing down onto the sarcophagus, and in the crypt itself there is a sculpture of him that reminds me of Julius Ceasar. #2 (The Museum) is probably the cooooolest place I have seen in Paris. I've always been fascinated with medieval through renaissance era armies, weapons, lore, etc., but never saw such an assortment of all of that stuff in one place! (Yes, I am a nerd)

Out of time again--Im tired and need to get to sleep for class in the morning...
Will finish the rest and continue the updates after class.
G'night all!

Sleep in heavenly peace, and love,
B Ezie

3 Comments:

Blogger Ellen & Gary said...

Hey bub, thanks for the kool pix and the update.

Take time to really enjoy the opportunities before you, and reflect on it when you have time. We enjoy knowing that you and your fellow classmates are having the experience of a lifetime. But, your health, your studies, and your adventures give us a way to live vicariously. Get some sleep!!!

Thu Sep 07, 06:56:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude, if my email didn't get it across, I am so jealous. I wish I could be there and enjoy it with you. P.s. your a really great narrator you should have been an English major. You descibe everything so well. Hope your having a great time, and definitely missed your presence at rush.

Much love, and philia

Patrick

Thu Sep 07, 09:25:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Louvre!! Just like I imagined it while reading The DaVinci Code. Fun stuff. What camera are you using to take these great pics?

Continue having a kick ass time!

Kenny

Sun Sep 10, 05:01:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home